How to turn anything into a Wristlet


I have a confession.  I am addicted to deals!

I have been on a 'Junking' bender these last few weeks to try to finish decorating this new house.  I am constantly on Craig's List looking for the perfect console table or arm chair.  I am in Goodwill every other Saturday hoping to score a deal during the 50% off sale. 

Side note, if you haven't been to Goodwill on the 50% off sale day it is an experience.  People are lined up before they open and it's a great way to get your "Black Friday" rush all year long.  LOVE IT!!

And since I'm usually scouring through racks of vases, or sorting through the mirrors stacked in the corner I have found that the big purses I adore are not working out so well.  Enter the wristet. 

I. Love. Wristlets! 

They are super functional and a great way to have everything you need with you and still use both hands to shop.  Genius.

While shopping at my local Target I stumbled upon their back to school section and what would soon become my favorite wristlet.  This beauty is being sold as a "multi zipper bag", but I saw potential for so much more.  I love the larger than normal size, and the 3 individual compartments. 
All that for only $2.50?  SOLD!

So here is a quick tutorial for how you can turn any small pouch into a wrislet in no time!


Supplies you'll need:
-small pouch
-coordinating scrap fabric (around 5"x16")
-seam ripper
-sewing machine


First, cut your scrap fabric to measure 5" x 16" (or as close as possible).  Fold the fabric in thirds length-wise and iron.  Fold the piece into thirds again and iron again.  You should now have around a 1/2" x 16" strip of fabric. 


Sew the strip of fabric right down the center with a straight or decorative stitch.  You can also use contrasting thread for a little more unique design.

Now that the strap is done, you'll need to attach it to the bag.  I recommend adding your strap to a seam near the top of the bag.  I prefer to have my strap near the zipper pulls when the zippers are closed, but you can add it to either side. 


Turn the bag inside out and find the seam where you want to attach the strap.  Using your seam ripper, open up the seam in the bag to the width of your strap.  Thread your strap into the opening, and leave about 1/2" to 3/4" of the ends sticking out. 


Resew the side seam of the pouch with the strap in it.  It will probably be pretty thick, so some hand sewing may be necessary. 

Turn the bag right side out and there you have it.  A quick sewing project to turn the perfect zippered pouch into a functioning wristlet.


You could use this idea to turn any pencil case, small makeup bag, or even a homemade pouch into a great wristlet.

You just have to find the time to make it happen!

17 Response to How to turn anything into a Wristlet

July 21, 2010 at 5:55 AM

What a great idea. I have always walked right on by wristlets in the purse department because I carry so much in my purse that I need a much bigger bag, but in the case of a shopping spree, it would be so much more comfortable to carry one of these. I think I will try it.

July 21, 2010 at 2:03 PM

love love love this thought!!!!!

July 22, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Oooo, so clever of you! I have a little grab and go pouch thing that I can take with me in my different purses. If I grab it, I know I have the basics with me. Love the idea of making anything into a little wristlet.

Thanks for linking up at Craftastical!

July 22, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog, the road map. I just love your pin cushion (and all your ideas) and I can't wait to make one for myself. I'll post pictures so you can see :) Have a wonderful weekend!!

July 23, 2010 at 9:33 AM

Great idea! This would be perfect for inside my purse! Seems like everything always ends up in a jumbled mess :) Saw you over at Tickled pink!

July 23, 2010 at 10:39 AM

So cute! I've been looking for a bag like that, I've heard they're great for storing makeup. Thanks for the tip, I'll be heading out to pick one out. New follower! :)

-Ann Marie

July 23, 2010 at 11:50 AM

Brilliant idea and great tutorial! I'm a big fan of junking and thrifting too! My girls get excited about 'treasure hunting' too, and I feel good about the fact that we're stretching our creativity, our dollars, and are reducing our carbon footprint.

Glad to meet you and follow from New Friend Fridays! Have a wonderful weekend, Jenn

July 23, 2010 at 12:01 PM

Very cool!

I am a new follower, I'd love it if you could visit me: http://becauseitsfuntowin.blogspot.com/

Have a great day!

July 23, 2010 at 1:55 PM

adorable. I was tickled at the title of your post. I never thought to love Wristlets, but they sure are handy.

July 24, 2010 at 6:24 AM

Love it! Great work.

July 24, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Thanks for linking up to the Mad Skills party!

July 27, 2010 at 9:59 AM

Great idea! Thanks for linking @Creative Itch's "Sew Cute Tuesday"!

July 27, 2010 at 6:35 PM

What a cute idea, so easy to. I have to try this out!

July 29, 2010 at 11:02 PM

Great idea. I thrift and junk constantly...such an addiction. I think I may need one or ten of these!

August 1, 2010 at 1:18 PM

Very cute! Love it!
Thanks for linking up!
~Liz

August 1, 2010 at 8:38 PM

cute idea! It turned out well, thanks for linking up to Topsy Turvy Tuesday! Love it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails